Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:39:41 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to put binaries of a port

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

> Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to make a port follow the FreeBSD
> > standard, where to put installed files, which
> > is a bit hard, as I'm a bit uncertain of the
> > standard.
>
> That's what the porter's handbook is for.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

I've read it, but it says nothing about mixed bi-
naries, where the non-X11 always will be installed,
and the other is optional.

> > The port have both an X11 binary, and a non-
> > X11 binary. The X11 binary is optional, and
> > only should be installed if X11 is installed.
> > The other binary should always be installed.
>
> This is typically done with separate ports, but
> I actually like your approach.

Hmmm... Actually I wasn't aware that I had an
approach. :-) The thing is, as stated before,
that the non-X11 binary should be installed WITH
the X11-binary, if chosing to install the port
using X11. Where should then the non-X11 binary
be placed? If installing the port, not using X11,
then it's easy. Then it should go to /usr/local/
bin.

Best regards,
Paul