Date:      Fri, 16 May 2008 10:03:25 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Feature requests for open-source graphics (OT)

--=-PV4XDANNPwIyzawesES7

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 13:38 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:31 -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 10:04 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > > email message attachment, "Forwarded message - Re: Forward: Updated
> > > FreeBSD kernel feature requests (NVIDIA graphics)"

Yeah. Thanks to the brilliance of subsidized monopoly I got my traffic
blocked suddenly without notice. I am in the process of hopping to an
ISP that actually respects customer right of use of service (I'm not
doing anything illegal).

I'll shove the stuff up to freefall in a bit and get back to you...

Rant warning (look away if you don't want a rant about the "competitive"
US ISP market):

Had Comcast, and they decided that it is a better use of customer money
to spend it on expensive half-baked filtering systems that make the
service garbage even for non-bittorrent users (as well as preventing me
from getting fbsd/linux ISOs with bittorrent), as well as threatening to
disconnect all of my service if I didn't stop serving my personal
website and personal email on my personal Internet connection.

Moved to Verizon who said that they don't block. Turns out that they
block port 80 but just don't tell anybody. If they are so ashamed to
admit this block, then they shouldn't do it (IMHO). Otherwise, it should
be clearly stated in the TOS agreement, and conveyed to the salespeople
(who told me that I could run my server on their connection). The
upper-level technicians' reason was that they specifically want to
prevent residential lines from being webservers. No block on public
mailservers, not even a block on public Windows filesharing ports (yes!!
They are open!!). Their business class service also apparently blocks
port 80 unless you get the highest-level static-IP service.

So I am going with one of the independent DSL operators that provide
service over Verizon's lines.

Both Comcast and Verizon insist that these policies are exercised by all
major providers, but this is not true. Time Warner cable doesn't do
this, and neither does Cincinnati Bell (last remaining non-RBOC in the
lower 48). Additionally, AT&T actually has a section dedicated to
expressing the customers' rights. They specifically bar hosting a server
only in the cases of dial-up accounts. Server usage appears to be
allowed by them for their DSL service (but I've never used AT&T service
before).

One of the nice perks of DSL regulation is that the line controllers
don't have a monopoly on the lines themselves, which are required to be
open to other ISPs who are willing to invest in the DSL system. So I
actually have a choice of about 10 companies that I can have DSL from.
Almost all of my alternatives seem to provide a line that endorses
running a server on it. So I chose dslextreme.com, which seems like a
pretty decent vendor, and provides a line that can be served from.

--=20
Coleman Kane

--=-PV4XDANNPwIyzawesES7

--=-PV4XDANNPwIyzawesES7--