Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:40:49 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044926294.fb46ab@mired.org>
Cc:        Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>, Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: handling non-printable characters in file names

Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <3E41A24E.9090607@earthlink.net>, Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net> typed:
>
>>There's probably someone who can explain why non-
>>printable characters are useful in file names, but
>>I'd really rather disallow them altogether - if
>>there's a build option or control flag to set.
>>Anyone?
>
> BSD is character-set neutral. Well, it tries. The only two characters
> that are magic in file names are 0x2f and 0x00, because they both
> terminate the file name. Other than that, you are free to use whatever
> character encoding you want to. That's why characters that may be
> unprintable in some encodings are allowed in file names.  What shows
> up in the locale en_US.ISO8859-1 as "Resumé" will show up with an
> unprintable last character if you haven't set the LANG environment
> variable.
>
> The only way to change this behavior is to change the kernel source to
> support it.  Expect resistance from every developer in a country that
> doesn't use the English alphabet if you try and get that change put
> into the tree.

What about a feature that allows an administrator to list characters
that are disallowed in filenames and directory names?

You don't think that would be useful?  Do you really think admins would
mind?  I think it would be very helpful - I'd disallow whitespace right
off the bat, as it causes more problems than I can keep track of!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies