Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:02:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, tony@fit.qut.edu.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Diskless Dispare...

> > >   1. The inability to mount file systems. The clients start barfing with
> > >      something like "RPC mount timeout". This problem goes away after a
> > >      while as the clients retry. I think its the mountd getting too many
> > >      requests at once. Each client mounts 9 file systems.

Mountd is far from being concurrent enough.  At one time, back in
the 1.1.5.1 days, I had it hacked up sufficiently to allow NFS
access by 20 or so X terminals, all at the same time.  I think
this is kludgable by hacking the timeout up for now.  Mountd wants
a bit of a rewrite once real threading is generally available.

> > I think that this is a more generic NFS bug in -current.  I can
> > reproduce this, even causing mountd to silently exit (no core, no
> > syslog msg) with just one client and some fierce AMD-assisted pounding
> > on a 2.2-current NFS server.

I think the exit is a seperate problem.  I'd be curious about what
you could find out from a trace of the process started before it dies.

> > >   2. Files permissions are read incorrectly. Files that should be able to
> > >      be executed are giving "permission denied" messages. Sometimes even
> > >      the kernel can't be loaded by netboot.com but if you persist by
> > >      typing "autoboot" it will magically start to work. Machines fail to
> > >      boot correctly as programms called in /etc/rc don't start
> > >      (permission denied).
> >
> > Probably more NFS bogosity.

[ ... ]

> I think for diskless root filesystems, you must export the fs with
> -root=0, otherwise lots of stuff will break.

[ this is true, but it's not the cause ]

> > >   3. Pageing in of binaries cause the system to panic. Vnode_pager does
> > >      not seem to like it when it can't page in executables, even when the
> >
> > See #2. :-)
>
> Probably paging from a file which root can't access (see above).

Actually, I think it's the problem in vop_bmap for nfs that David noted
the other day.

> > 2.1.5?  Its NFS is still unstable, but I don't believe anywhere near
> > the state it's in with -current.
>
> I think some of the stability problems with NFS are due to its lack of
> vnode locking primitives.  This might be addressed by the lite2 fs work
> but if not, I will try to get something in after that work is merged.

The NFS, procfs, and several other non-boot-critical FS's didn't have
the new primitives in the patch sets we've seen so far.  I don't think
they will have much positive effect on this problem, but there are three
or four other problems that will clear up (mostly two client race
conditions).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---