Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:16:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Leigh Hart <hart@at.dotat.com>
Cc:        "Curtis Wilbar [STAFF]" <curtis@ici.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bootable cd q

> Hi Curtis,
>
> "Curtis Wilbar [STAFF]" <curtis@ici.net> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a website, ftpsite, etc that would detail
> > how to make a freebsd bootable cd-rom ?  I've found info on mkisofs
> > and in general how it works, but I'm looking for freebsd specific
> > info (i.e. how to make a bootable cd from the downloaded images/etc).
> >
> > I'd appreciate any info you could provide.
>
> cd /usr/share/examples/worm/
>
> read it and weep (it is *not* easy).
>
> then go to /usr/src/release and investigate write_mfs_in_kernel.c,
> you will need it.  The process has changed a bit since I did it on
> FreeBSD-2.2.5, so I won't go into detaills here about what I did,
> it was an ugly hack, but then again, el toro (yip yip yeehaa sp!??!)
> CD booting is ugly at the best of times.

Uh, what?

If you are building CDs from downloaded ISO images, you just splat the
images onto the CD and you are done - the images are already bootable.

If you want to generate your own set, the makecdfs.sh script just
requires a bootable floppy image.

And with the new loader, you don't have to futz with any of that MFS in
kernel crap.

So it's actually pretty easy. 8)