Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:13:30 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports and Packages versions

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Randal S. Masutani wrote:

> I am currently running 2.1.7 and would like to install some of the
> newer updated ports and packages that are available in 2.2.2 and
> current.  Is this possible are there any compatibility issues?
> I would like to run the new version of samba v1.9.16p11 which has
> support for WINS.  The 2.1.7 port and package is using samba
> v1.9.15p8 only.

Your millage may vary greatly. With the packages, it *might* work, but I
suspect there's a pretty good chance it won't. With the port, I guess it
has a better chance, but still, it may use some new features. You can try
it out, but be prepared to get your hands dirty. Or you could upgrade to
2.2.2 :-)

> Thank you,
> Randal Masutani

> ComTest Technologies, Inc.