Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 15:18:06 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.org, Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

If memory serves me right, Terry Lambert wrote:
> "Bruce A. Mah" wrote:
> > > either for a code slush,
> > > or for other work that may not make it back in until it's
> > > complete, which might take a while.
> >
> > Nope.  The original poster asked about RELENG_* branches; they aren't
> > used that way, which I'm sure you know.
>
> ???

What I'm saying is that we almost never put something on a RELENG_*
branch until it "make[s] it back in" to HEAD.  Instead, changes get
merged *from* HEAD *to* a RELENG_4 branch.  Your original text gave
what I thought was an erroneous impression.

> I guess it's not obvious, since FreeBSD refers to things in
> general a little differently:
>
> 	------------------	-------------------------------------------
> 	The tag			What people commonly call it
> 	------------------	-------------------------------------------
> 	RELENG_X		-STABLE (X.x branch)
> 	RELENG_X_Y_RELEASE	-RELEASE (version X.Y)
> 	RELENG_X_Y		-SECURITY (X.Y branch)
> 	RELENG_X_Y_BP		RELENG_X at the time RELENG_X_Y was created
> 	------------------	-------------------------------------------

We don't have RELENG_X_Y_RELEASE tags, they're really
RELENG_X_Y_0_RELEASE.  But that's a bit of a nitpick.  You're
essentially right.

> -STABLE is "other work that may not make it back in until
> it's complete" relative to -SECURITY, and RELENG_(X+1) in
> progress the same, relative to -STABLE (but you have an
> implied tag that doesn't exist until it's "complete").

ENOPARSE

> > Anyone wanting more information about how we *really* use the RELENG_*
> > branches should take a read through Murray Stokely's release
> > engineering article:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/index.html
>
> Yes; this is a very good document.  Unfortunately, it doesn't
> provide a translation from RELENG-speak into mailing list speak;
> the diagram doesn't really show a derivation relationship quite
> correctly.  Really, you need a tird dimention, or an angled line
> in the diagram to get it right (particularly X.Y-STABLE).  He did
> a much better one on the whiteboard.  Satoshi does a pretty good
> one on a whiteboard, too; so does Julian.  8-).

Yeah.  Been too long since I used pic though...I wonder where my Tenth
Edition UNIX manuals went to...

Bruce.