Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:20:41 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nate Eldredge <neldredge@math.ucsd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ukbd attachment and root mount

on 12/11/2008 14:14 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:58:58PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
[snip]
>> 2. if ukbd driver is not attached then I don't see any way USB keyboard
>> would work in non-legacy way
>
> Regarding #2: at which stage?  boot0/boot2/loader require an AT or PS/2
> keyboard to work.  None of these stages use ukbd(4) or anything -- there
> is no kernel loaded at this point!!  Meaning: if you have a USB keyboard,
> your BIOS will need to have a "USB Legacy" option to cause it to act as
> a PS/2 keyboard, for typing in boot0/boot2/loader to work.
>
> Device hints are for kernel drivers, once the kernel is loaded.

Jeremy,

I understand all of this.
In subject line and earlier messages I say that I am interested in
mountroot prompt - the prompt where kernel can ask about what device to
use for root filesystem.
Essentially I would like kernel to recognize USB keyboard (and disable
all the legacy stuff if needed) before it prompts for the root device.

--
Andriy Gapon