Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:47:25 -0900
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <jnrp@uas.alaska.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ld-elf problem

Back again...

Douglas Brian Quayle wrote:

> pthread_attr_setscope() is a function used by Posix threads.  I am guessing
> you do not have Pthread support compiled into your kernel, though I could
> be wrong.

You're right, I didn't, so I followed the instructions below.

> In your kernel configuration file, do you have the following three lines?
>
> options         "P1003_1B"
> options         "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
> options         "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
>
> Try adding these three lines and rebuilding the kernel
> (config -r KERNEL; cd ../../compile/KERNEL; make depend; make; make
> install).

Ok, did this, and ...

One more time I get,
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./CGServer: Undefined symbol "pthread_attr_setscope"
when I try to run the program.

So a little more digging through the list archives and I find this,

"we already have threading support (minus pthread cancel) compile/link with
gcc -pthread"

So a little digging through the man pages for cc (ie. gcc) gets me this,

"-pthread
    Link a user-threaded process against libc_r instead
    of libc. Objects linked into user-threaded process-
    es should be compiled with -D_THREAD_SAFE."

So, go back and "make depend" and "make" and peruse the screen output and I
see several different options added to cc which brings me to the next
question. How do I add the -pthread option when I'm making the kernel? I've
dug through the Makefiles and I can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks for the help,

Russ Pagenkopf