Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:02:35 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL rant number 31391 (was: Jordan Hubbard on Darwin)

At 6:47 PM -0700 2000/11/18, Brett Glass wrote:

>  It has to do with the big picture. The BSD community should not be dependent
>  upon a group that seeks to snuff it out. It needs its own shells, its own
>  compilers, its own tools. Both for its own sake and for the sake of users
>  who would otherwise be locked into the FSF's software.

	I'm sorry.  BSD and GPL are not mutually exclusive, regardless of
what you may think.

	If they were mutually exclusive, then we'd already be dead,
because the GPL and products licensed under it are far larger than
BSD and the products licensed under it, and that situation will never
change.

	If you truly want to tilt at that windmill, I suggest you go off
and write a BSD C compiler (and C++, and Fortran, and the debugger,
and the complete development environment) that doesn't depend on any
GPL code, and you'll be in your grave before me.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium