Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 13:17:00 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Photo CD utils?

On Thu, May 25, 1995 at 09:37:11 (-0400), John Fieber wrote:

 > [NOTE: redirected from hackers to questions]

 > matthew c. mead writes:
 > > assume I can do the same with FreeBSD.  Does anyone know of utilities for
 > > unix to convert .pcd (Kodak PhotoCD format) files to things I can view?

 > hpcdtoppm works like a charm.  If you are interested, I have a
 > couple patches at home that make it work on FreeBSD.
 > Unfortunately, this is not something that should go in the ports
 > collection because Kodak has threatened legal action against
 > anyone producing or distributing software to use the photocd
 > format without a license.  hpcdtoppm was written without by
 > examining actual photocd files, not with approval and
 > documentation from Kodak. See "Encyclopedia of Graphic File
 > Formats" by James D. Murry, published by O'Reilly & Associates
 > ISBN 1-56592-058-9 for more information.

	Thanks for all the help.  I now have a nice little setup where I
stick in the Corel professional photos sampler cdrom and login and I get a
new pictures every 15 minutes on my desktop.  :-)

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration