Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:24:06 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asus A8V IRQ/serial problems

--nextPart2864263.d5seoyaOTj

I have 2 Asus A8V motherboards running FreeBSD 6.0 and 6.1 (amd64) and I se=
e=20
the following in dmesg..

sio0: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x10 on acp=
i0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
sio1: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
sio1: type 16550A

The ports are enabled in the BIOS and do seem to work.. mostly. I have had =
odd=20
problems trying to talk to stuff connected to the on occasion though.

I have another [custom] driver that is based on sio.c and it shows the same=
=20
warning (it is a PCI RS485 card).

I have tried playing with various ACPI & ATPIC settings in the BIOS but no=
=20
change. If I disable ACPI in the kernel the IDE driver fails to activate it=
's=20
IRQ and then panics a bit later...

I have updated to the latest BIOS but it had made no change.

Hmm actually I just looked through the code.. It appears that this happens=
=20
because isa_irq_pending() is a noop unless isa is in the kernel, and it isn=
't=20
in GENERIC. Perhaps those tests in sio.c should be conditionalised on isa=20
too?
=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum