Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:00:47 -0800
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Taro Ikai <ikait@rcn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var short of disk space because of /var/pkg/db

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:39:23AM -0500, Taro Ikai wrote:
> My /var partition got full.
>
> I had the FreeBSD installer automatically allocate partitions, and
> as a result, my /var partition is less than 20MB in size.

The installer seeks only to crush your hopes and aspirations.  Do not
put trust its counsel on matters of partitioning.

> Recently I started using portupgrade, and the program fattened
> the files under /var/pkg/db.
>
> Question:
>
> 1) Can I temporarily delete /var/pkg/db/*? Can I then safely
> remake the content of this directory using portsdb?
>
> 2) Can I make the system use space under /usr instead of
> /var/pkg/db?

Check this out:

mkdir -p /usr/var/pkg
mv /var/pkg/db /usr/var/pkg
ln -s /usr/var/pkg/db /var/pkg/db

This creates a place under /usr for the directory, move it over there,
and then creates a symlink, so when you look in /var, you end up instead
in /usr.  Then you are happy.

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/