Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 07:50:40 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        dima@best.net, mohacsi@fsz.bme.hu (Janos Mohacsi), freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberos 5 or Kerberos IV or DCE?

> dima@best.net (Dima Ruban) writes:
> > > Heimdal? I there a working version of DCE for FreeBSD?
> >
> > Last time I've checked Heimdal - it had too many problems and was _not_
> > compatible with krb5 from MIT. It was about 2 month ago.
>
> There has been progress.  It's not perfect, but it does work under
> FreeBSD (my laptop runs FreeBSD, so...).

I've had KRB5 beta 6 through 1.0.3 running on FreeBSD for over a year.  The
only problem is that the Kerberos distribution doesn't perform lastlogin under
FreeBSD, because FreeBSD does not have a lastlog.h (the struct is defined in
utmp.h).  A small patch fixes this.  I'll be submitting this to MIT when I get
a chance (probably this weekend).

Other KRB5 problems are not specific to FreeBSD and are usually fixed by the
ANL patches, which usually get rolled into the next release by MIT.

A port should be simple to create, however it could not fetch the source into
distfiles:  This would have to be performed by the sysadmin.  Configuration is
simple.  I use;

/configure --with-cc=gcc --with-aname-db=db --with-kdb-db=db
            --prefix=<choose your direcotry> --with-ccopts=-O

The --with-krb4 option is only required if you use a KRB4 client like sudo or
popper.

> /assar

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."