Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:12:13 +0300
From:      Catalin Nicutar <catalin.nicutar@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP UTO - Weekly Report 11

Hello!

This is the eleventh report for TCP UTO.

* Short TCP UTO description
UTO stands for User Timeout Option (it is described in RFC5482). TCP UTO
specifies a peer should be allowed to advertise its chosen `User Timeout'
for a connection.
The wiki page for this project: http://wiki.freebsd.org/CatalinNicutar/TCPUTO

* Work completed last week
 * I have added a function that walks the list of TCP connections and drops
 the ones that would have been reset in the absence of UTO (tcp_drop_uto)
 * I have changed the behavior of TCP_RCVUTO_TIMEOUT in a changelist I have
 shelved. This change would require adding a new field to struct syncache
 which might break KPI/KBI
 * I have added a capture on the wiki page showing a scenario where a server
 partially accepts the timeout requested by a client
 * I have cleaned up a few portions of the code and fixed a bug in syncache
 (in certain cases a socket wouldn't inherit the received UTO value).

* My goals for this week
 * I will consider if more sophisticated policies are required for dropping
 connections
 * I will think of a mechanism that calls the cleanup function when the
 available resources are scarce
 * I will generate patches to upload to Google and put on the wiki

If you have questions, suggestions or advices drop me an email to
cnicutar@FreeBSD.org.

Catalin Nicutar