Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:48:55 -0700
From:      Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net>
To:        claudiu vasadi <claudiu.vasadi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpu_reset: stopping other CPUs - machine stalls at halt or reboot

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM, claudiu vasadi
<claudiu.vasadi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello fellas,
>

> I have a vmware FreeBSD guest with 8 CPU's and 2GB RAM.
>
> I am a bit puzzled of the behaviour the system has when I issue "reboot"
> and/or "halt -p now". It shows "cpu_reset: stopping other CPUs" and stalls
> for ~2 minutes.
>
> I have a custom SMP kernel and at the moment I was unable to reveal any
> problems with the guest or the host (win 7).
>
> FreeBSD has all ports up to date and at the moment of reboot or shutdown, no
> "heavy" is running.
>

> Did any of you experience something similar ?

Yeah - I've seen the same thing when rebooting - the cpu_reset message
appears and there is a long delay before a reboot happens. I have no
problems powering off though (shutdown -p). I've got a -current vm
under 6.5.4 with 2 CPUs, host OS is Windows 7,  that can take a while
to reboot. I haven't timed it but 90 seconds from the message
appearing is a good estimate. Since the disks should already be synced
by that point, there doesn't seem to be any harm in just resetting the
VM - I've done it a number of times and never had any issues.

However, even on a real computer, there is a bit of a delay here - my
Thinkpad T61 will sit there for around 20 seconds before actually
rebooting. I have no idea how to even start debugging this kind of
thing and it isn't a really big deal to me (I don't reboot too often
and just use the workaround when I do), so I never reported it.

--
Rob Farmer