Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 21:42:09 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup Problems

There was a thread that found its way on to here the other day. The
topic was how easy and low-bandwidth CVSup is to use with people
making statements like, "5 minutes on a dial-up link," to CVSup an
existing source tree.

I once would have agreed, but I have been having a really frustrating
time with CVSup. I am hoping someone can help me debug this.

Here is an example of what I see. I tried to CVSup STABLE this
afternoon,

  # cvsup -P- -g complete-supfile
  Connected to cvsup11.freeBSD.org
  Updating collection src-base/cvs
  Updating collection src-bin/cvs
  Updating collection src-contrib/cvs
  TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out
  Will retry at 12:00:42
  Retrying
  Connected to cvsup11.freeBSD.org
  Updating collection src-base/cvs
  Updating collection src-bin/cvs
  Updating collection src-contrib/cvs
  Updating collection src-etc/cvs
  Updating collection src-games/cvs
  Updating collection src-gnu/cvs
  Updating collection src-include/cvs
  Updating collection src-lib/cvs
  Updating collection src-libexec/cvs
  Updating collection src-release/cvs
   Edit src/release/texts/alpha/HARDWARE.TXT
  Updating collection src-sbin/cvs
  Updating collection src-share/cvs
  Updating collection src-sys/cvs
  TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out
  Will retry at 13:17:23
  Retrying
  Connected to cvsup11.freeBSD.org
  Updating collection src-base/cvs
  Updating collection src-bin/cvs
  Updating collection src-contrib/cvs
  TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out
  Will retry at 14:24:40
  Retrying
  Connected to cvsup11.freeBSD.org
  Updating collection src-base/cvs
  Updating collection src-bin/cvs
  Updating collection src-contrib/cvs
  TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out
  Will retry at 15:49:32
  Retrying
  Connected to cvsup11.freeBSD.org
  Updating collection src-base/cvs
  Updating collection src-bin/cvs
  Updating collection src-contrib/cvs
  TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out
  Will retry at 17:28:32
  Retrying
  Connected to cvsup11.freeBSD.org
  Updating collection src-base/cvs
  Updating collection src-bin/cvs
  Updating collection src-contrib/cvs
  TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection timed out
  Will retry at 19:49:38
  ^C

I've sat and watched with a tcpdump and I see packets going out to the
server but no responses. In this example, it's cvsup11, but this
happens no matter which server I try. Nor does time of day or day of
the week seem to matter. This makes me think it is either a problem
with me or my ISP. I thought my dynamic rules on the firewall were
timing out TCP connections too soon so I cranked those up, but the
tcpdump shows that nothing was coming back.

I typically don't have any problems with downloads over other
services, but I wonder about the upload end. Uploads can be painful
the few times I've moved anything big (though scp). IIRC, CVSup pushes
some data upstream? Could this be my problem?

Anyone have some ideas of what to look at? Anyone have CVSup problems
and manage to fix them?