Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 00:49:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Damien DIXSAUT <damien@cristal.cristal.asso.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help ! 3 Com 3C905 hangs my system !

	Hello all and thanks in advance for help,

   Confident in what I saw on this list about this card being supported, I
bought a "3 Com Fast Etherlink XL" fast ethernet card.
   The exact description of the card as printed on the manual is :

Fast Etherlink XL
PCI 10/100BASE-TX
Network Interface Card
3C905B-TX

   First, as described in this list, I had to slightly modify my kernel to
have it recognized. The new device id is 9055 while the probe expects 9050
or 9051.
   I modified line #85 in /usr/src/sys/pci/if_vx_pci.c :

Before :
if(device_id == 0x905010b7ul || device_id == 0x905110b7ul)
      return "3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI";

After :
if(device_id == 0x905010b7ul || device_id == 0x905110b7ul || device_id ==
0x905510b7ul)
      return "3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI";

   Now my card is recognized at boot time. I get the message :

Apr 18 00:00:39 cristal /kernel: vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev
36 int a irq 11 on pci0:12
Apr 18 00:00:39 cristal /kernel: utp/tx[*utp*] address 00:a0:24:50:c6:e0

   I used dos util to force card configuration to 100 BASE TX, no
duplex. First strange thing : the probe detects the interface as [*utp*]
while I would have expected [*tx*] for 100 BASE TX ?

   Now, I can ifconfig the interface, etc...

   The problem : as soon as the interface receives a packet, the whole
system hangs, completly and instantly frozen. This occurs if I try to ping it
from another station or even if it hears trafic between two other stations.

   I tried to move the card to different PCI slots, resulting in different
IRQ numbers. I also removed all other cards except SCSI / VIDEO.

   Last clue : using the dos utility program, I am able to make echo
requests / replies with another (Windows NT) station with the same card. So
the cards seems to work under DOS.

   Now, any idea, anyone ?

   About my config:

FreeBSD :     2.2.2-RELEASE (tried with 2.2.6 kernel : the same)
Motherboard : Asus P55T2P4
RAM :         48 Mo
CPU :         AMD K6 200 MHz
VIDEO :       S3 TRIO 64V2 - IRQ 12