Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:17:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
To:        <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        <smoberly@karamazov.org>, <gnome@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SOUP

> On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 10:35, Scott A. Moberly wrote:
>> The SOAP library SOUP is now required throughout the gnome structure.
>> Given that gtkhtml requires it in the Makefile, but does not actually
>> require it.  Given the inherent security issues raised with SOAP.  I
>> was curious if it can be made optional.  It could even be in the
>> negative if you prefer; i.e.
>
> Maybe I've been out of it, but what security issues are we talking
> about?  Can you site references?
>
> Joe

My main complaint lies simply with arbitrary access to data without the
user (of the process) having direct control.  Scary if it moves into root
controlled processes.  Other issues involve firewall slipthrough.  Many
other reason's can be found...  google it with soap and security.

Scott A. Moberly
smoberly@karamazov.org