Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lew payne <lew@lppi.com>
To:        Plamen Petkov <plamendp@plamen.bgstore.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: back up with dump|restore

> What about '-u' option ('don't copy if older'') ? Or '-k' option
> ('don't overwrite existing files') ? You know, I wonder, because
> you told me you are using this command lines in your real life
> >
> > mount /dev/wd2a /mnt; cd / ; pax -rwX -pe . /mnt; umount /mnt
> > mount /dev/wd2e /mnt; cd /var; pax -rwX -pe . /mnt; umount /mnt
> > mount /dev/wd2f /mnt; cd /usr; pax -rwX -pe . /mnt; umount /mnt

I suppose you could do the following:

Once a week, do the above "full" backup.  This ensures that
old, deleted files are no longer present on the backup disk.

On a daily basis, back up any changed files...

pax -rwXvYZ /dev/source /mnt

Regards,
Lew Payne

---
Lew Payne Publishing, Inc.             Dunn & Bradstreet listed
994 San Antonio Road                     DUNS # 055037852
Palo Alto, CA  94303