Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:06:26 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Tomazo Lujiano" <tomazo@fastermail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD sysctls

On Thursday 27 February 2003 01:38 pm, Tomazo Lujiano wrote:
> Hello, FreeBSD hackers!
> And here is my problem:
> I use FreeBSD-4.7 Stable at home. My machine also provides an Internet
> access in our local network. That's why I set different firewalls,
> ipfilters and other stuff to provide the security in our private net. So,
> I'd also like to defend my server from OS-detectors, such as nmap and some
> others and change TCP-stack as well. And what I do:

well the value of obscuring your OS type is debatable, but the way to do this
is with the right firewall ruleset.  This is debated over and over on the
misc@openbsd mailing lists.  Search their archive for more information on how
to do it.

> And another question:

SOP in this list is to put questions on different topics in separate emails.
puttng proper subjects for each question helps the archives be more useful.

> I wanna take participating in FreeBSD project. May be there are some sites
> or links, where this question is described, but I wanna ask you directly: I

if you want to contribute other than translation, the besst way to fnd
something you can contribute to is to spend some time on questions, and a few
of the other mailing lists, until something comes up that you would like to
do.  Of course read the handbook and spend some time looking through the
website.  If you do you'll find the projects webpage that probably has
something you can contribute too.

> want to translate documentation from English into Russian. Please, tell me,
> which topics aren't occupied yet by other interpriters - and I 'll do all
> possible to translate them!... Thank you very much.

Send an email offering help at doc@freebsd.org and read the documentation
project pages.  They are accessible off the FreeBSD.org main webpage.  They
would love to have your help, and can direct you to where translation help is
needed most.  Actually if you just read enough of the handbook and the
Russian version, you would see many things that haven't been translated yet.
	We'd all be glad to have your help actually, so have fun.

	Tim