Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:32:51 +0000
From:      Paul =?iso-8859-1?Q?RichardsS=FD?= <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        John Russell <jr@paranoia.demon.nl>
Cc:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>, jmutter@ds.net, Tom Messmer <messmer@endpage.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: staroffice port

John Russell wrote:

> I was not able to get it going before either, but this time it was successful.
>
> I needed to make clean; make install; make post-install then I needed to
> rename my old Office51 directory, next I made a symbolic link from /bin/test
> to /usr/bin/test.  This time when I ran make install-user it worked and now
> Star Office also works.
>
> John

The symbolic link is what fixed it. You're previous installation was
probably ok but you need to run it with /compat/linux/bin/sh so that the
soffice shell script runs in the Linux environment.

What I ended up doing was changing the the #!/bin/sh to
#!/compat/linux/bin/sh in the soffice startup script. That way the
change is contained within StarOffice so should I deinstall it there's
no other cruft, like a symbolic link, left behind. It's also safer since
soffice is then guaranteed to run in the Linux environment, whereas with
a link there might still be other inconsistencies in running the shell
script in the FreeBSD environment.

I think the port should fix that script up before it installs then there
wouldn't be any problems.

Paul Richards
Originative Solutions Ltd