Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:28:04 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        "Kevin J. Menard, Jr." <kmenard@WPI.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2 install hanging

Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > I did notice that two of the lights on my 3ware card were still lit,
> > but there was no drive activity.  perhaps the drivers have not
> > progressed as well as we would have liked?  and i know that the drives
> > work as I was running a mandrake-7.0 system (customized kernel) with
> > the 4 port card.  It just seems that it is very random when the
> > install all of a sudden quits.  I must've tried a good 30 times
> > already.  i could understand the ftp option stalling a bit (though i
> > was pumping out at least 220K/s), but then recovering.  I don't know
> > how to explain the cd's failure.
> >
> > So anyone have any suggestions now?  If it is indeed the RAID card,
> > should I try to install to another HDD and then copy the data over to
> > the RAID?  But i'm wondering if i'm having such instability issues
> > now, what i may face in the future :(
> >

> I don't know if I have the definitive answer for this, but I will tell you
> how I would proceed, and also give you the reasoning behind my suggestion.
>
> 1) I would attempt to install onto the same computer using the ftp site, but
> instead of using the RAID controller I would use a standard SCSI adapter
> that is known to be good under FreeBSD (perhaps the Adaptec 2940)
>
> 2) If no other SCSI controller is available, then I would try to install
> onto the same computer with an IDE drive.
>
> Reasoning:  I don't think that you are having an issue with the installation
> medium, as you have tried two different ftp sites, and a cdrom.  I don't
> think you are having an issue with your NIC, as the cdrom install failed as
> well.  I have had a lot of trouble with FreeBSD and RAID controllers.  I
> haven't had all that much luck with SCSI adapters, either.  The RAID adapter
> is the first thing that I would suspect.  Eliminating that from the picture
> will at least tell you if it is the problem.

I really have no idea what's wrong, but I do have a (somewhat) similar
experience that I can share.
I was trying to install 3.1 (when it was new) from CD or FTP onto a
computer with an IDE drive. I was getting the same weird problems that
you are and assumed that it was a bad IDE drive because it failed at a
different place each time and the drive light stayed on. so I went out
and bought a new IDE drive. The problem didn't change at all (after
several more attempts) so I returned the drive and got a new
motherboard. The new mobo with the original drive worked fine and was my
system for 1.5 years until the HDD finally crapped out a few weeks ago.
(It was used to begin with, and I used the hell out of it- I consider it
a decent service life) That original mobo (that apparently caused the
problem) is now long gone and I don't remember make/model/etc. I even
used the RAM from the old one in the new one (still using it now)

No answers, I know, but some more information for you.

-Bill