Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 03:07:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lost all ad0 devices, can't boot, a little help please

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Doug Poland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing from the emergency fixit shell on a 4.4 RC0
> box.  Somehow, I've lost all my /dev entries for my IDE
> hard-drive (ad0s3...)  This is what I get on boot attempt:
>
> 	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
> 	no such device 'ad'
> 	setrootbyname failed
> 	ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> 	Root mount failed: 6
>
> I've managed to boot from 4.3-REL CD#2 and get a fixit
> shell going with connectivity to my network.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. how do I mount the hard-drive slices?
> 2. how do I rebuild the /dev entries?
>
> Many thanks in advance...

Look at the /mnt2/stand directory to see the commands available
to you.

Perhaps:

Fixit# mount /dev/ad0s3a /mnt

will work. The /mnt directory should then be the / partition on
your hard drive.  cd /mnt/dev and try:
sh MAKEDEV all
sh MAKEDEV ad0s3
sh MAKEDEV ad0s3a

Hope that helps; I find #Fixit difficult.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC