Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:57:45 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        Danny <nocmonkey@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to update perl on FreeBSD 4.9R

--=-UA2ZFeFNeS3wrBBO1nTg

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 14:40 -0400, Danny wrote:
> I am trying to install a perl CPAN module:
>=20
> mx1# perl Makefile.PL
> Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at
> Makefile.PL line 3.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 3.
> mx1#
>=20
> All I know is that I need to update to a newer version.

Ahh, you're trying to install a Perl module -- which, as luck would have
it, has a FreeBSD port available. cd to ${PORTSDIR}/devel/p5-Date-
Calc/ , type "make install", and watch it do its magic. This is the
recommended approach when a Perl module already has a port ready (and,
fortunately, Perl modules are among the simplest things for which one
can make a port -- you can often have a fully working port in 5 minutes,
if you're even slightly experienced with the porting process). It seems
that you're unfamiliar with the FreeBSD Ports Tree; I highly recommend
that you read the Handbook about it, lest you spend 24 hours straight
trying to make a large amount of software work on FreeBSD out of
ignorance ... (/me blushes a shade of red of which red delicious apples
would be envious).

Note, if it out and out refuses to install with the system's perl, you
should file a PR about it mentioning such -- I don't see anything in the
port's Makefile which mentions that it absolutely requires a version of
Perl newer than the one that ships in the 4.X releases. And with Kris'
recent port breaking spree in preparation for 5.3, I'm sure that it'd be
marked as such (unless pointyhat has 'use.perl port', which would
severely hamper Perl module testing). Further, if it doesn't work with
the 5.005 version in the base system, you'll need to install a version
from the ports. I highly recommend 5.8 for various reasons recently
discussed in a thread on current@.

--=-UA2ZFeFNeS3wrBBO1nTg

--=-UA2ZFeFNeS3wrBBO1nTg--