Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:49:41 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        <Peter.McGarvey@telinco.net>, "FREEBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFIREWALL or IPFILTER?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter McGarvey" <Peter.McGarvey@telinco.net>
To: "FREEBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 11:12 AM
Subject: Q: IPFIREWALL or IPFILTER?

> In building a new kernel, I can add support for IPFIREWALL and IPFILTER.
>
> What I'd like to know is what's the difference?
>
> And which is better?
>
> And is both a bad idea?
>
> The only firewalls I've ever dealt with are of the packet filtering sort
> built into routers.  But now I'm playing with a FreeBSD box with 3 NICs
> so it seems like a good time to learn a bit more about firewalls.
> Discovering that FreeBSD supports two I went looking for some sort of
> comparison between the two.  But couldn't find anything.  Hence, the
> above questions.

In my own experience, ipfilter is easier to use. Its configuration file
syntax is easier for me to understand, and this has allowed me to create a
working firewall for my home LAN (running on dialup with dynamic IPs) with
no overhead. I can get outside of it (something I couldn't accomplish with
ipfirewall) and I can selectively block certain ports from the outside. So
faw, I have encountered no problems.