Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:30:43 -0400
From:      "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>:
> So I ask you - are you with us or against us?  If you're with us, then
> PROVE it by helping to push *all* free software not just that which
> fits your somewhat limited definition of "marketable" free software.
> If you're against us, then at least have the guts to state it
> publically so that we can figure out some way of working around you.

I will do precisely those things which I believe will advance the cause
of open-source software, whether it's Linux or BSD or anything else.

I will *not* be bullied into changing either my tactics or my strategy
by threats that you will "go to the mat" with me about it.

You want more neon for BSD in the Open Source campaign?  Here's how to
get it:

1. Send more information on BSD-based products that are *making money*,
   that will tell a convincing story to people who are suits not hackers.

2. Stop whining.  I'm giving Linux more play than BSD not out of prejudice
   but because Linux is *winning*, looking like a success, tapping huge
   amounts of energy, visibly gaining market share.  BSD is not.  When I
   want to persuade people, I talk about winners.

3. Give up on personally pressuring me.  All that does is suggest that BSD
   does not in fact *have* a substantive case.
--

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself
a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about