Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:13:48 +0200
From:      "Remco van 't Veer" <rwvtveer@xs4all.nl>
To:        Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
Subject:   Re: Orion on FreeBSD with linux jdk 1.3.0? Err, no.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:25, Ari Suutari wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Is there anyone who is using Orion on FreeBSD regularly with linux JDK
> > 1.3.0? I'm trying this, but I can safely say it runs like crap.
> >
> > Where in JDK 1.2.2 Orion runs in a single process and runs well, the 1.3.0
> > version spawns several processes and then proceeds to coredump each and
> > every one of them in turn (signal 6). This is FreeBSD 4.3-RC as of last
> > friday.
> >
> > This is on three radically different machines that I've tried. (laptop,
> > server, desktop)
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >

> Nothing, I guess :-(
>
>     Altough at least I reported successful runs of Linpack benchmark
>     with hotspot VM and linux jdk 1.3, I have been having similar problems
>     with more complex apps (like Tomcat or JServ). I have assumed that
>     there is something wrong with threads (which Linpack does not
>     use but tomcat uses heavily).
>
>         Ari S.

I am using linux jdk 1.3 (from the ports collection on a 4.3-RC
updated last friday), edited jvm.cfg to put -classic on top of the
list and the Enhydra appserver runs fine.  It isn't very fast though,
I guess I am bit spoiled after using hotspot on Linux.  I've added
OpenJIT (after compiling it on a Linux installation against BD jdk1.3)
but I don't notice much of a performance gain.

  $ javavm -version
  java version "1.3.0_02"
  Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0_02)
  Classic VM (build 1.3.0_02, green threads, OpenJIT)

IOW, it works fine for me.

HTH,
Remco

--
It is our mission to enthusiastically foster cutting edge methods
of empowerment in technology and globally restore ethical