Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:21:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Omer Faruk Sen <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /kernel: sio1: 2 more silo overflows

Log file output broken.

On Saturday, 26 January 2002 at 23:44:17 -0800, Omer Faruk Sen wrote:
>   I have started to have that error messages in my
> system after making world of 23 Jan. They start to
> appear after connecting to internet with my ppp
> account. What they might be? Any ideas? I think that
> can be sth with my ISP's access servers.
> Here is error messages:
>
> Jan 26 21:20:38 balli /kernel: sio1: 2 more silo overflows (total 628)
> Jan 26 21:20:42 balli /kernel: sio1: 3 more silo overflows (total 631)
> (etc)

These messages indicate that the system was not able to process
incoming serial data before it got overwritten by new data.  As you
suspect, it's probably related to the ppp connection; it's nothing to
do with your ISP, though.  The messages are relatively harmless,
though they do mean that each time a packet has to be resent.

> PS: I have installed 4.2R and started to 'make world' after
> that. Never installed a fresh Release after that. (I'm not sure if
> that helps but wrote it for debugging)

What exactly did you change with the 'make world'?  Did you update
your sources?

FWIW, I've been noticing these messages only since upgrading to a
recent -STABLE.  I also upgraded the machine from a K6-2/333 to an
Athlon 750, and made some other changes, so I can't be sure which
change is causing the messages, but it would be nice to find out.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.