Date:      30 Apr 2002 05:46:13 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        grog@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum out of commission?

On a very recent -CURRENT, I'm unable to create and newfs a vinum
volume:

root@rsa ~# cat vinum.label
# Vinum disk
type: SCSI
disk: DEC
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 521
sectors/unit: 8380080
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  8380080        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 521*)
  d:  8380080        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 521*)
root@rsa ~# disklabel -rR da1 vinum.label
root@rsa ~# disklabel -rR da2 vinum.label
root@rsa ~# disklabel -rR da4 vinum.label
root@rsa ~# disklabel -rR da5 vinum.label
root@rsa ~# cat vinum.conf
drive drive0 device /dev/da1
drive drive1 device /dev/da2
drive drive2 device /dev/da4
drive drive3 device /dev/da5
volume raid0 setupstate
  plex org raid5 433k
    sd length 0 drive drive0
    sd length 0 drive drive1
    sd length 0 drive drive2
    sd length 0 drive drive3
root@rsa ~# vinum create vinum.conf
   1: drive drive0 device /dev/da1
** 1 Can't initialize drive drive0: Operation not supported by device
   2: drive drive1 device /dev/da2
** 2 Can't initialize drive drive1: Operation not supported by device
   3: drive drive2 device /dev/da4
** 3 Can't initialize drive drive2: Operation not supported by device
   4: drive drive3 device /dev/da5
** 4 Can't initialize drive drive3: Operation not supported by device
0 drives:
1 volumes:
V raid0                 State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:          0  B

1 plexes:
P raid0.p0           R5 State: up       Subdisks:     4 Size:          0  B

4 subdisks:
S raid0.p0.s0           State: up       D: drive0       Size:          0  B
S raid0.p0.s1           State: up       D: drive1       Size:          0  B
S raid0.p0.s2           State: up       D: drive2       Size:          0  B
S raid0.p0.s3           State: up       D: drive3       Size:          0  B
root@rsa ~# newfs -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/vinum/raid0
newfs: /dev/vinum/raid0: `0' partition is unavailable

This is a non-GEOM kernel - GEOM wouldn't even let me disklabel the
drives.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org