Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:33:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Radical <Radical@hardcore.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw+natd "napster"

Radical wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hello
>
> I'm running gateway on freeBSD 4.2. I have configured on it ipfw and
> natd. Everything works very well but I was confused when found that
> napster do not work properly. So maybe some one already solve this
> problem and has correct rules for ipfw

Napster uses port 6969 IIRC--check your configuration. If you want Napster
to WORK, and you've set up a default deny firewall, just open the port:

/sbin/ipfw add 10000 allow tcp from any to any 6969

You haven't told us what your firewall configuration is like. The above
command is very much oversimplified, and is NOT a good example of a
firewall config, but will work in most applications. Let us know what sort
of filtering you have set up, and I or someone else can suggest a more
accurate rule.

Add a similar command to your firewall config so this change will persist
after a reboot.

Or, just configure Napster itself to talk on a different port.

NB: Most network administrators go to great pains to BLOCK the napster
port, or restrict bandwidth. I think this is the first time that I've seen
anybody want to do the opposite on this list ;-)

> Thanks in advance
> Radical

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon