Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:07:24 -0500
From:      "Guillermo Gonzalez" <ctrl4ltdeletemenews@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I am unable to connect to my ftp server from anything other than the local host

When I try to ftp localhost I get this:

[guillermo@tester ~]$ ftp localhost
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
220- Welcome message goes here  :D
220 tester FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
230- READ OR DIE!!1
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

However, when I attempt to ftp to the box's ip I get:

[guillermo@tester ~]$ ftp 192.168.1.108
Connected to 192.168.1.108.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

I'm running bsd 6.1.
I keep reading online that when that happens, it is due to a problem with
some config file.
I don't think there is a problem with it but I've listed it just in case.

pam file in /etc/pam.d/ftp

# auth
auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so             no_warn
no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so       no_warn allow_local
#auth           sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn
#auth           sufficient      pam_ssh.so              no_warn
try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass

# account
#account        required        pam_krb5.so
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
session         required        pam_permit.so

The program is the regular ftpd that comes with bsd.  I'm using inetd it
with a line
in inetd.conf:
 ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l -l

I also have a line in my passwd file for ftp as anonymous:
ftp:*:14:5:Anonymous FTP Admin:/home/ftp:/nonexistent