Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:55:57 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>,  freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On 5 June 2012 09:25, Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>> > All of these, with the exception of HEAD (which is always a valid tag)=
, only apply to the src/ tree. The ports/, doc/, and www/ trees are not bra=
nched.

>> > I understand this that I can use these tags on the FreeBSD sources but=
 not on the ports.

>> > I never tried this on the ports.
>>
>> I sent a long reply to your earlier message on freebsd-ports
>> explaining exactly this -- how each Ports tree snapshot has a version
>> number: the date spec. =A0Also, how a few special snapshots also have a
>> second version number: the release tag. =A0I also explained how to find
>> and use these, with and without cvs. =A0Am I wasting my time by trying
>> to answer your questions, E.?
>
> I think that you missed my point. The point is that this has to be made a=
vailable for beginners. As long as the handbook states that this does not a=
pply to the ports tree, at least beginners will stop there.

"Beginners" should be using packages anyway.

It is absolutely a bad idea for "beginners" to be using tagged/dated
ports trees-- they are not supported and will lead to many complaints
about problems that were solved since the tag.

Chris