Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 22:59:28 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP server, telnetd and shells (fixed)

On Sat 25 May 02 15:22, you wrote:
> Paul Everlund wrote:
>
> Hey stoopid! Tell your one braincell to put /sbin/nologin
> into /etc/shells, then do vipw and change the shell entry
> in the password file to /sbin/nologin. Now it should work!
>
> ----
>
> And it did! Thanks Paul for your great tip! :-)

You know - they say that people who talk to themselves are..., well...
"stoopid" ;)

Anyway, this is not what you asked, but something I do religiously when
I build FTP servers, and particularly for ftp accounts that do NOT have
shell access, is to use the /etc/ftpchroot file.  It's a simple but
handy way to keep your FTP users within their little boxes.  If you
have not read up on it - do so!

# man ftpd
(search for ftpchroot by typing: /chroot )

My method is to create a group called ftp (in /etc/groups), and then
use that is the group when adding ftp user accounts.  Finalyy, edit
/etc/ftpchroot, and insert this line:

@ftp

Have fun.

--