Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:35:24 +0100
From:      Nico Meijer <nico.meijer@zonnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rl0: watchdog timeout

Hi Dmitry,

Are we straying OT yet? I guess so, you've been warned.

> We have tons of them working on servers, routers and desktops because
> they are cheap (some beers are more expensive).

You are comparing cheap nics with beer? I'll take that beer, thanks! ;-)

I like the analogy, btw. Cheap beer s*cks most of the time and gives you
headaches, whereas quality beers (I happen to particularly like Duvel,
Grimbergen, Alfa) supply richer taste and gives you less or no headache
(drink the yeast). In summary: good quality beers amount to a better
user experience. Same goes with nics, imho.

> There is no real
> difference between Realtek and Intel  NICs when they work (even for
> most servers).

I don't (and won't, unless forced) use Intel NICs, so I cannot speak of
them. I've had the very unpleasant experience of having had to deal with
a fierce network boost on a RealTek 8139 (don't ask...) in a linux box.
It meant the nic (and thus the machine) was unavailable for 15 minutes.
Other machines (which were not mine) which experienced the boost, were
humming along nicely. So thanks, I'll pay $50 extra for the nic.

Decent nics give me no headaches. Replacing cheaper ones (this includes
onboard vr) with decent nics, makes me sleep well at night.

Just my experience... Nico