Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:10:45 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        charlespeters@chickenbean.com, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cable modem gateway via freebsd 2.2.6 release for win95 client boxes

At 01:35 AM 8/15/98 -0400, charlespeters@chickenbean.com wrote:
>I have been trying for at least 20 hours to get a gateway configured so that
>my win95 boxes can access the internet through my freebsd 2.2.6 release box.
>The freebsd box has 2 network interface cards, vx0 is configured to access
>the internet, and de0 (ip=192.168.0.1)is configued to hopefully be a gateway
>device for the win95 boxes on my local network.  I am able to ping the win95
>boxes from the bsd box, and ping the bsd box (both ip addresses) from the
>win95 boxes.
>
>The win95 boxes have ip addresses in the form, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3,
>192.168.0.4, etc.....  The default gateway setup in the win95 tcpip
>configuration  is 192.168.0.1, which points to the nic in the bsd box.

Are the win95 machines set to use the @Home (that's what you're using,
right?) DNS servers?

>	natd
You didn't mention that you have natd installed. Have you read its manpage?
It says exactly what steps are needed to get it working.

>	routed
You don't really need it. You only have one connection to the internet, and
static routes are enough for you.

>	ipfw
You'll need to use it for natd to work.

>	rc.conf
It looks like you've got that done already. Although you'll need to find
the line which controls loading of the firewall rules and change it
according to how you modify rc.firewall.

>	any other stuff that needs to be setup.
resolv.conf to enter your DNS servers...
rc.firewall to hold your natd rule(s) and other rules.

>I'm terribly sorry to keep sending messages about the same topic, but I
>simply can not get this thing to work (although I have gotten ppp -ailases
>to work).

Have you tried using tcpdump to see how the network traffic is flowing?

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org