Date:      Fri, 05 May 2006 19:54:07 -0700
From:      John Pettitt <jpp@cloudview.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   rm: Operation not permitted

I'm having trouble erasing some files - this on a 6.1RC system (built
from -STABLE) - I created a system image using his script:

#!/bin/sh
make buildworld KERNCONF=CLOCK
make buildkernel KERNCONF=CLOCK
mkdir -p /raid/diskless/clock
make installworld DESTDIR=/raid/diskless/clock
cd /usr/src/etc; make distribution DESTDIR=/raid/diskless/clock
cd /usr/src
make installkernel KERNCONF=CLOCK DESTDIR=/raid/diskless/clock

and now when I try to delete it  this happens ...

# rm -rf clock
rm: clock/bin/rcp: Operation not permitted
rm: clock/bin: Directory not empty
rm: clock/lib/libcrypt.so.3: Operation not permitted
rm: clock/lib/libc.so.6: Operation not permitted
rm: clock/lib: Directory not empty
rm: clock/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Operation not permitted
rm: clock/libexec: Directory not empty
rm: clock/sbin/init: Operation not permitted
rm: clock/sbin: Directory not empty

and so on.

The system is running at securelevel -1 and the rm fails even in single
user mode - what am I missing?

John