Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 11:38:12 +0200
From:      Natacha =?iso-8859-1?Q?Port=E9?= <natbsd@instinctive.eu>
To:        =?utf-8?B?0JvRjtCx0L7QvNC40YAg0JPRgNC40LPQvtGA0L7Qsg==?= <nm.knife@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I help with thinkpad x220 issues?

Hello,

on Wednesday 23 May 2012 at 10:05, Любомир Григоров wrote:
> Well, brightness works with the command line, sooo.... I think it has to be
> mapped to the hardware keys. There is a long thread where I discussed this
> with a couple other members (toward the bottom for the recent brightness
> discussion).
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/135827

Thanks a lot for pointing this discussion, I found there information
more up-to-date than what I previously found.

In particular, according to what I understand from
http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-current&m=133341372825281&w=2
helping with the brightness seems to require a quite broad understanding
of ACPI and/or EC, and maybe also a good overview of how things work
currently in FreeBSD. Both of these seem to be far beyond anything that
I can reach in a reasonable amount of time :-(

Still, my offer stands, and if anybody can think of anything useful I
can do or learn, please don't hesitate to tell me so.

> Good news is that Konstantin's latest patch works with FreeBSD 9-STABLE so
> no longer need to run HEAD. I would love to see resume work, though.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask for such help, but I
haven't been able to get it working as much as I would like.

More specifically, I checked out 9-STABLE, and merged all 14 commits
listed at the end of http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
I then added WITH_NEW_XORG="YES" and WITH_KMS="YES" to /etc/make.conf
and compiled x11/xorg metaport with default options, except for
KMS=on for graphics/libdrm.

It seems that adding i915kms in /boot/loader.conf freezes the system,
but that's only a minor inconvenience. Now I kldload it just before
starting slim.

The screen resolution is correctly detected, everything in Xorg.0.log
and `dmesg` looks fine, DRI2 is enabled, xdriinfo reports i915 dri
activated for the screen. Well, all in all, as far as I can tell
everything is fine, except I don't see any acceleration : it takes up to
a whole second for my rxvt-unicode to refresh its 80x56 window (whether
scrolling or switching tmux window, and no image background is set),
opaque window moving is very jumpy (but I can live without it), and
armagetron runs at 7-12 fps (to test whether 3D acceleration fared
better than 2D acceleration).

Do you see the same behavior? Would you have any idea on how to diagnose
whatever could be wrong?

Thanks for your help,
Natacha Porté