Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:06:21 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        kse@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: Not providing static libraries (libkse/libpthread)

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 01:51:39PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> Is there a good reason for providing static libraries for
> libpthread/libkse?  I'd like to not support them to get
> rid of some hacks to make sure certain symbols are present
> in the static library case.

That would make static linking threaded applications impossible, no?

While I wouldn't mind seeing the whole system move to being
dynamically linked, I sure don't feel well about deprecating static
linking completely.  (No threads for static binaries is very close to
`deprecating completely' to me.)

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos