Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:03:20 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing a server setup.

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 09:47:27AM -0500, Grant Peel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a very good setup on a server that I would like to clone to a
> brand new server, and an existing server.
>
> My plan is dependant on two things, feel free to comment on them if I
> am missing something:
>
> 0.  Make sure the machine to be cloned is using a generic kernel, and
> ensure the SAS driver is enabled.
>
> 1. I will take complete dumps of all the file systems (less swap and
> dev of course). These will be kept on a local machine that has
> filesharing setup (another freebsd box).
>
> 2.  a. I will boot the new box using FreeBSD 6.1 or 6.2 CD.
>        (How do I keep from entering sysinstall?)
>      b.Setup the new filesystems,
>      c. setup a local network IP and configure a network fileshare client
>         so I can get to the dumps,  (this is doable, right?)
>      d. inport the stored data, and configure the machine specific
>         details (hostname, IP etc etc etc),
>
> Am I missing antything here?

Yes.  How do you plan to set up file systems and configure a network
if you don't install anything?    My suggestion is that you install
FreeBSD 6.2 and only move locally created files to it.   This is
presuming the image you want to duplicate is at lower than 6.2.

Anyway, you can use the fixit system from CD to create filesystems
and then to restore the dumps which would give you an identical
system on the new machine, including IP and hostname.  You should
then be able to turn off the old machine and boot the new one in
its place.   I would then modify the hostname and IP on the old
machine rather than make the new server have the different name
so those things that are looking to it as server do not need to
be changed.

As for setting up filesharing before installing a system, I can't
say.  I haven't used it.

////jerry