Date:      05 Jun 2000 09:42:50 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User-mounting floppies (was Re: stupid questions)

Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org> writes:

> If you were to create another group, called floppy or something. Change
> the group on /dev/fd0 and the mount point to floppy with mod 0660, would
> that not solve the problem without allowing for the opportunity to break
> other things?

This works fine for a system that's assumed to be single-user, and on
which all of the users are assumed to be trusted.  That *was* the
assumption of the person to whom you were responding, but it's
something you have to be a little careful with.  Note that in that
situation, there are a *lot* of solutions that will work fine.

One of the hardest cases is that of a public "terminal room," where
not only can't the users be given root powers, but their files have to
be protected from *each* *other* as well, and only the person with
physical access to the drive should be able to mount (or umount) the
device.  In FreeBSD, the only way I can think of to do this is by
using xdm (or equivalent), and adjusting permissions to the relevant
devices in much the same way as is done for the console.

 - Lowell