Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:58:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Sven.Huster@t-online.de
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high availability by routing?

On 26 Oct 2000 Sven.Huster@t-online.de wrote:

> hi there,
>
> at the moment i have following setup:
>
> |isp| --- |my router| -- |switch| -- |loadbalancer| -- |web farm|
>
> i want to improve availability by adding a second loadbalancer and
> a second router + a second connection to my network provider to
> eliminate the single point of failure (i know about the single
> switch).
>
> so the setup then will be:
>
> |   | -- |router 1| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 1| -- |        |
> |isp|                  |switch|                        |web farm|
> |   | -- |router 2| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 2| -- |        |
>
> but
> 1. how is routing managed between isp and my routers?

	Work with them to run some type of routing protocol.  It will
	probably be an IRP (I'm assuming you don't have an AS #)

> 2. what happends if one router fails or one isp connection is broken?

	It should switch over to the other.

> 3. how does the loadbalancer recongnizes that one router fails?

	The load balancer doesn't.  That's the routers job.

> 4. how do i tell my routers to distribute traffic between the
>    loadbalancers equal?

	It depends on your router type.

> 5. how can i handle the failure of one loadbalancer?

	Hmmm. Not sure on this one...you need a network clustering setup.

> maybe i will extend the setup with another connection to a other isp.
> 6. how will this fit in my environment?

	This will provide you with diverse path's but will complicate
	things unless you run BGP...which is quite involved.

	However, if you didn't want to load balance across your ISP links
	you could just use static routing.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.