Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:14:58 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   no arp who-has replys

I have a network that depends on a Cisco router, not running any routing
protocol and not under my control, getting responses to arp who-has messages
for routing.  I just configured a 4.8-STABLE box as a router and I don't
think it is working correctly.

My understanding is that when a router knows a route to an ip address, it is
supposed to respond to arp who-has messages with an arp reply message giving
its own mac address.  The fbsd router is not responding even though it has a
correct route, has ip forwarding enabled and is seeing the arp who-has
messages.  Shouldn't it be?

Thanks.

--
Jim Flowers<jflowers@ezo.net>