Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 00:59:40 -0700
From:      Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kris@FreeBSD.org: cvs commit: ports/net/cvsupit Makefile]

Sorry, I simply haven't fixed it yet since I'm now having a hard time
deciding, upon further reflection, whether I shouldn't just kill that
stupid port.  cvsupit started life as a crufty quick hack meant to fill
a short-term purpose (get newbies introduced to cvsup at the time) and
doesn't serve the longer-term purpose of making cvsup easy to use
throughout FreeBSD's lifetime.

To do that, if it's even desired, will require release engineering
assistance to spit out customized cvsupfiles which match whichever tags
are currently in vogue, present dynamic menus of available choices,
etc.  In short, if people really want "cvsupit-like" functionality for
the long-term then they're just going to have to embed it into the
"process chain" for release engineering somehow and not just rely on
some crufty port staying in sync.  The "keep the crufty port in sync"
approach has worked for awhil, but it just isn't practical, IMO,  to
continue doing so any longer.  That's unless someone else really has a
strong lust to step forward and take the cvsupit port over for further
life-support efforts.

Frankly, though, I really hope somebody doesn't.  I know sysinstall and
pkg_install are still just too useful to take off their own
life-support systems, as crufty as they also are, but please - at least
let cvsupit die a merciful death.  Someone would be far better off
putting their energies into solving the cvsup configuration front-end
problem properly instead.

- Jordan

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group