Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 18:45:55 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   LOCALE stuff

I wanted to give the LOCALE stuff a try and was surprised that ls -l
does not care about any LANG setting (I see that ctime/strftime have
day/month names hardwired). Does anyone have a striking example showing that
LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-1 does have any effect? I would expect that ls -l
shows me country specific month/weekday names (like it does on a RS6000
AIX 3.2 in my office). Not, that I'm a great fan of the latter.

# Uncomment next line if you want to setup your 8-bit locale at program
                                                                ^^^^^^^
Shouldn't this be 'system startup' ?

# startup automatically
ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE=; export ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE
# Uncomment next line to activate russian locale
# LANG=ru_SU.KOI8-R; export LANG
# Uncomment next line to activate italian locale
# LANG=it_IT.ISO8859-1; export LANG
LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-1; export LANG
# For full list of locales, check /usr/share/locale/*

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development
#2: Tue Apr 11 20:03:36 MET DST 1995    root@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS
 i386