Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:23:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alexander Kabaev <kan@FreeBSD.org>, Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 18483 for review

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-10-01 12:11, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=18483
> > [...]
> > 	Apply http://people.freebsd.org/~kan/gcc-cpp.diff to the
> > 	TrustedBSD base compiler set, which is intended to resolve an
> > 	issue where 'make depend' on a large source tree causes an
> > 	internal compiler error in cpp.
> >
> > Affected files ...
> > .. //depot/projects/trustedbsd/base/contrib/gcc/cppmacro.c#6 edit
>
> Alexander,
>
> I've been running buildworlds with this patch for the past 2 weeks (not
> many buildworlds, I fear, but at least 4 of them).  It seems to work,
> but do you have any news from the GCC developers themselves?
>
> Is this going to be committed to FreeBSD too, or are we supposed to wait
> for a new GCC version to be merged that includes it too?

I'm building a world with it right now, and with it in the MAC tree, we
should have a bunch of people using this change within the next two days.
If the interest is in holding off for more testing, two more days should
give quite a bit of feedback.  In fact, I hope to finish building this
world shortly and use it to try building a kernel, since one of my build
boxes is not very useful due to being unable to build a kernel :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories