Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:28:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark@grondar.za
Subject:   Re: How much security should ldconfig enforce?

In article <200007270615.IAA16104@grimreaper.grondar.za>, Mark Murray
<mark@grondar.za> wrote:

> Could it relax constraints on a per-directory basis, so that folk
> who want a shared lib dir with *this* privelige *here* can do that?

Oh, it _could_, since it is software and software can do anything. :-)
But I personally am only willing to take it so far.  If it gets too
involved, somebody else is going to have to do it.

I think it would help if I explained (not for you -- for the group at
large) just what ldconfig does and does not do.  I will ignore the
a.out version, since it is obsolete.

What the ELF ldconfig does is very simple:  It takes the list
of directories from the command line and writes them into
"/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints", along with a magic number and a length
field and stuff like that.  That's all it does.  It doesn't read these
directories, it doesn't build a hash table, it doesn't do anything
except record the directory names.

I should also mention that on any sensible system, the hints file
which ldconfig updates is writable only by root.  That means you more
or less have to be root to run ldconfig in the first place, unless you
have gone and manually changed the permissions of the hints file.

I just mention these things because a few of the replies made me think
that not everybody understood them.

John