Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:01:45 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:26:54 -0500 (EST), "Ean Kingston"
<ean@hedron.org> wrote:

> > On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:18 pm, Christopher Nehren wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2005-03-22, daniel scribbled these
> >>
> >> curious markings:
> >>
> >> This is why you set up an SSH tunnel between the two machines. The
> >> Handbook (as always) shows how to do this, with examples.
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Christopher Nehren
> >
> > To forward a VNC session through SSH, the user will need to install a
> > SSH application on the Windows computer.  PuTTY is a free example, and
> > is available at:
> >
> > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> AFAIK Putty is a client only. The original user wanted to access his WinXP
> Home system from FreeBSD. So, Putty isn't going to do it. I think there is
> an OpenSSH implementation (both client and server) for Win32 that runs on
> XP. I know the cygwin implementation works (but the original poster may
> not want that much added to the XP system).
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ and http://www.openssh.org/

I have successfully used the Win32 OpenSSH installer available via
http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ to provide a SSH server on a remote
Windows 2000 Professional system.  That OpenSSH package can be installed
via an installer to provide OpenSSH using a minimal requisite cygwin
environment.  The OpenSSH server can be run as a Windows service.

Like the original poster, I wanted a way of using a Windows system
remotely from FreeBSD.  In my case, it was so I could remotely admin and
troubleshoot a friend's Windows 2000 PC.  As well as using the OpenSSH
for Windows mentioned above, I used TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/)
for the VNC server on Windows and for the client on FreeBSD (installed
via the net/tightvnc port).  I restrict the VNC server to accept
connections only from localhost, and use an SSH tunnel to encrypt all
the VNC traffic between the two systems.  (I can even start and stop the
VNC server service remotely by issuing a "net start winvnc" and "net
stop winvnc" via SSH to start and stop it, respectively.)

I've found the setup to work well in practice.

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu