Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:41:37 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uptime basics!!!

I volunteer to update the uptime document.  So how do I do that?

>On 8 Jul 99, at 19:41, David Greenman wrote:
>>    Uh, no, that is not what the load average means. The load average is
>> composite number that includes both runnable processes and processes
>> that are blocked in a short term wait (usually disk I/O). This means
>> that for machines that are doing heavy disk I/O, the load average could
>> be quite high even when the CPU is 95% idle. On wcarchive, for example,
>> the load average typically runs around 40-50 with 50% CPU idle time.
>> This may sound high, but there are 38 disk drives on the machine, so
>> although the drives are fairly busy, the I/O is spread out over all of
>> them - keeping the interactive response time low and overall
>> performance quite high.
>
>Where is this documented?  I was trying to locate just this very
>information during the past week.  Nothing in man uptime.  If it belongs
>there, I volunteer to update it.  How?

   It should be documented in the man page for 'uptime' and 'w', but I see
that 'w' gets it wrong and 'uptime' doesn't say anything.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project -
http://www.freebsd.org Creator of high-performance Internet servers -
http://www.terasolutions.com
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited