Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 14:00:14 -0700
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wuftp questions

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a web server (apache) with the wuftp port
installed.  One of the sites that will be moving to this server has about
200 people (and growing) making updates to the site, each with their own
ftp account.  The site is currently an Iserver hosted site allowing me to
set up restrictions on what the users can and can not do and also what
they have access to.

I am trying to figure out how I might accomplish a couple of things.

1) not allow users on specified sites on the server to use ftp command
line commands such as chmod

2) not allow users on any site on the machine to do directory surfing
outside of their directory because although they can't upload files, they
can download them

3) set up services and quotas (ftp and mail) for users on a case by case
basis

For example, here is a line from the passwd file (names have been
changed) that the current iserver hosted site uses:

<bigger>joeypeck:password:10568:100:Joseph
Peckingham:/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/joeypeck:ftp,mail,5

</bigger>

Is there any way to bring this functionality into the FreeBSD setup?

Jerry Preeper

preeper@cts.com